Visa Application Procedure for holders of Certificates of Eligibility

(For spouses/children of Japanese citizens and permanent residents, see application procedure here)

Visa applications for travellers from Australia with a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) were suspended during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
From the 1st of October 2020, applicants in Australia holding a Certificate of Eligibility can now apply for their specified visas.
Please note that the application and entry procedure is slightly different than typical application, so please read the following instructions carefully.

1. Information for applicants in the WA For application procedures in other areas of Australia, please confirm with your appropriate Consulate.

2. To enter Japan

Please enter Japan on a flight with your (1) passport and visa, (2) a copy of the Written Pledge (Residence Track) stamped by the Embassy, and a (3) negative PCR Test Certificate.
Once you have entered Japan you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days and not use any mass or public transport. For more information on self-isolation, please see this link (in Japanese).

3. Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligiblity (CoE, 在留資格認定証明書, zairyuushikaku nintei shoumeisho) is applied for by your sponsor in Japan (employer, school or family) on your behalf. For more details see the Ministry of Justice page on Certificate of Eligibility.

Due to postal issues I don’t have the original of my CoE. Can I still apply?
As a special COVID-19 related measure, you can currently use a copy or the original to apply (if you use a copy to apply, you must obtain the original when you arrive in Japan and return it to the appropriate Immigration Office).

My Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) is older than 3 months. Can I still use it?
You can use your CoE as long as it was issued after October 1st 2019.

Can I fill in the Written Pledge (Residence Track) myself?
No, it must be completed by your Japanese sponsor.  If your sponsor cannot fill in the Written Pledge, please Contact us
I have visited another country on the restricted list other than Australia in the last 14 days. Can I still apply and enter Japan?
This application process and entry process is only available to travellers who have been only in Australia for the last 14 days. In addition, you must use a direct flight to go to Japan.
Can I apply for a working holiday or tourist visa, or enter on a visa exemption?
At this stage you cannot apply for working holiday or tourist visas or enter on a visa exemption scheme from Australia. If you wish to enter Japan for the purpose of work, please obtain a Certificate of Eligibility through your employer so you can apply for a work visa.
Please feel free to contact us on 08-9480-1800 or at . If you live outside of the WA, please contact your appropriate Consulate instead.
For more detailed information related to this matter and procedures, see the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s information page here.

Phased measures toward resuming cross-border travel from the 1st October 2020 (Please refer to 2. Required documents for the visa application)