Re-entry of foreign nationals who possess the status of residence

The Japanese Government has announced new measures to incrementally permit re-entry into Japan by foreign nationals who possess a status of residence. These measures will start from the 5th of August 2020. Please check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for more information on obtaining a Letter of Confirmation of Submitting Required Documentation for Re-entry into Japan (hereafter referred to as “Re-entry Confirmation Letter”)

Caution for Permanent Residents, Spouses/Children of Japanese Nationals/Permanent Residents, and Long Term Residents: From the 1st of September 2020, the instructions below will apply even to foreign nationals who possess the statuses "Permanent Resident", "Spouse or Child of Japanese National", "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident" or "Long Term Resident", or who are the spouse or child of a Japanese national who left Japan before Australia was subject to border controls. Please note that this is a change from the previous instructions for such individuals.

1. Eligibility for Application

Please confirm your eligibility for the measures described above.
  • Possessing a Japanese status of residence and residence card (zairyu card)
  • Departed on or before the 2nd of April
  • Holding a valid re-entry permit or special re-entry permit

2. Application Forms and Method (for Western Australia Residents)

If you are eligible to apply, please bring:  Please come to the Consulate-General of Japan in Perth on weekdays between 9:00-12:30 or 14:00-16:00 to apply.  
We will contact you when your Re-Entry Confirmation Letter is ready to pick up.

There is no processing fee.

We recommend calling us on 08-9480-1800  to check your eligibility to apply and that you have assembled the necessary documents before coming, however an appointment is not necessary. 

For non-WA residents, please see the list of Consulates in Australia and contact the one appropriate to you for further details.

3. Additional Quarantine Measures and Application for PCR Test Certificate

As a condition of entry into Japan, you must obtain a negative PCR Test Certificate (obtained within 72 hours of your departure time).To enter Japan, you must bring your negative PCR Test Certificate and Re-entry Confirmation Letter.

Please refer to this list of medical institutions in Australia which can provide PCR Test Certificates.

The clinic or testing centre must fill out the PCR Test Certificate form as provided here

4. Quarantine in Japan (Self-Isolation)

Once you enter Japan, you will be required to take a COVID-19 test at the airport and wait for results at the airport or at a place specified by health officials.
After entering Japan you must self-isolate at home or a hotel for a period of 14 days.
You must not use any kind of mass or public transport (taxi, domestic flights, ferry, bus, train etc.) during your self-isolation or to get to the place where you will self-isolate.
Please use a private car (your family may pick you up) or a rental car.

For more information, see here at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's website: (in Japanese)

5. Further Questions

Please carefully read the above information and the links on the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website before contacting us. 
You can call on 08-9480-1800 or email us at if you have any questions.