Consular Service

Police Clearance


Police clearances from the Japanese National Police Agency are issued only when requested by certain authorities as required by law, such as in the case of an Australian visa application. This document certifies whether the applicant has any criminal convictions in Japan and is written in Japanese, English, Spanish, French or German.

Applications must be made in person at our office.  Application by proxy is not acceptable.


  1. Application form ( you will be given at our office)
  2. Your current passport
  3. A completed Fingerprints form (This form is available from our office. A “Fingerprint Form” issued by the Australian Federal or State Police is not acceptable for a Japanese police clearance application.
  4. The following documents of proof showing the necessity of a police certificate
    • A letter/ evidence from certain authorities stating your requirements to apply for Japanese police clearance, and
    • The relevant regulation/ act verifying that you are required to submit a police certificate.

Please note:

  1. Applications are accepted from 10:00-11:30am & 2:00-3:30pm. An appointment is required by telephone (9480-1800) in advance.
  2. It usually takes 2- 3 months to process. The certificate will not be issued urgently.
  3. If you are currently staying in Japan or wish to apply for a certificate in Japan, please see the following website for the application procedure and requirements.

  5. The certificate is designed for certain purposes, such as applying for  Australian visas & citizenship, registering with the nursing board in WA, registering with the teaching board in WA and obtaining a WA liquor licence. If you wish to apply for Police Clearance for anything other than for the above-mentioned reasons, please contact our consular section.

Processing time and Collection
The processing time usually takes 2 months (sometimes 3 months depending on the circumstances). After we receive your certificate from Japan, you will be contacted by phone or email. You must come to our office in person to collect your certificate. Your current passport will be once again required for identification purposes.
If you would like to send someone to collect it for you, please provide us with a letter of authority together with your initial application.
If you reside outside the Perth metropolitan area and wish to have the certificate sent to you by post, please provide us with a prepaid registered post envelope upon your application.    

Free of charge